Tech Geek Questation : Nano Drone Showdown

Subscribe to the forum to receive notifications about new posts.
Robu

Today, September 4th, 2024, marks the launch of our competition with the first question:

What is a Nano drone, how can one be built, and what innovative features make your Nano drone stand out from the rest?

We invite you to share your creative and insightful answers to this question. Feel free to include your experiences, images of the drone, component list, challenges, and unique insights if you've built your drone.

Submit your answers by Tuesday, September 10th, 2024, in the morning. One lucky winner will be randomly selected to receive 250 Robu Points! We’ll announce the winner the following week. Good luck!

Note:AI-generated answers are not allowed
Nawaz

A nano drone is basically a really small drone, like super tiny – think of something that can fit in your hand. It’s designed to be compact but still do things like fly around, take pictures or even do simple tasks like checking hard-to-reach spots. Building one can be a bit tricky, but it's mostly about cramming all the essential parts (like motors, a small battery, flight controller, etc.) into a small frame without making it too heavy. You need to be super careful with the weight and balance, or it just won’t fly right.

I think what makes my nano drone stand out is that I used 3D printing for the frame (mosty PLA for now), so it's customizable and super lightweight. I added tiny cameras that can stream live, which is really cool for exploring places like inside tight spaces or even for fun stuff like flying through obstacle courses indoors. But it's bit hit of miss sometimes. One of the biggest challenges was getting all the electronics to fit without overheating or causing the drone to be too heavy to take off. I am also planning to upgrade it so it could be controlled by both a smartphone app or a small remote, giving more flexibility.

In terms of innovative features, my nano drone can fold up for easy carrying – so you can literally put it in your pocket. Plus, it’s got this cool feature where if the battery is about to die mid-flight, it’ll land itself safely instead of just crashing. Definitely had a few failed tries before getting that right though! (All credit goes to YouTube & reddit)
Tanuj K.

A nano drone belongs to a category of drones which weighs 250gms or below.

When building your own drone it's your choice to pick parts and material, for example first you need frame so you can get a pre made frame, 3d print it yourself or just go with wooden, plastic sheets or even use a pcb board.
For propulsion this category of drone rely on brushed motors instead bldc, according to your design you can attach propeller directly on motor shaft of make small gearbox to rotate each of the propellers.
For the flight controller there are separate flight controllers for brush motor drones on which brush motor can be directly connected, or you can use different development boards to make one yourself.
For battery 1s-2s lipo or li-ion battery can be used with capacity ranging between 250-1000mah, a bigger battery will have more weight so you can go for it if you need it.

Next for the innovative part you can tinker with the drone with your creativity like you can create a unique frame or make a canopy for the drone which makes the design stand out compared to other drones, you can also add different maneuver functions like flip in pitch or roll, performing other various tricks. You can even attach a micro camera under it to film and take pictures.
Pavan_sai

A Nano drone is a miniature, lightweight unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) designed for a wide range of applications, from indoor exploration to precision tasks in tight spaces. Unlike larger drones, Nano drones are compact, easy to maneuver, and can operate in environments where bigger drones might struggle due to size or weight constraints.

Reflecting on my experience building a quadcopter, Back in 2014-2015, during my graduation, I set out to build a quadcopter designed to address challenges in agriculture by utilizing image capturing and processing. At that time, I had little knowledge of what a quadcopter was or how to construct one. Determined to learn, likely at that time there is a 3 days in house workshop going on, so I attended taht workshop at a state university in September 2014 focused on building drones. It was there that I gained crucial insights, such as how to design a custom frame using a 1 cm aluminum square pipe, and how to manage weight and payload calculations. The workshop also covered vital concepts like pitch, roll, and yaw, as well as tuning the drone for optimal flight. i still has the frame i build at that time.

However, there was one significant obstacle: financial constraints. As a student, purchasing a commercial flight controller, which cost around ₹3500 at the time, was beyond my budget. Rather than giving up, I decided to take a different path. After some research, I came across Joop Brokking's "Your Multicopter Flight Controller - 3D (YMFC-3D)" series on YouTube. Inspired by his work, I decided to build my own flight controller based on his instructions. i used arduino uno as a controller, MPU6050 for gyro sensing, simple BLDC cheap motors and a custom made power divided board for ESC connection.

To further reduce costs, I sourced a FlySky radio controller from OLX, buying it second-hand from a student in Kerala. Following Brokking’s tutorials step-by-step, I assembled my first drone. The experience was a blend of trial, error, and learning, but in the end, I successfully built and tested my very own quadcopter. the props cut my hand during flight, :| .

Looking back, that project was not only a technical challenge but also a deeply fulfilling personal journey. It taught me the importance of perseverance, self-learning, and innovation when faced with limited resources.

What would make my Nano drone innovative is its focus on sustainability and adaptability. Drawing from my quadcopter experience in agriculture, I’d integrate features like real-time environmental monitoring. Imagine a Nano drone equipped with tiny sensors to assess crop health in real-time, sending data to a central system for analysis. This drone would not only be capable of navigating tight spaces in dense crops but would also offer real-time insights, all while being built using affordable, DIY components. for image processing and capturing i am using RPI 3b and a cam with it. it took me three years to complete a nano agriculture drone with my limited resources, this was successfully displayed in our state project expo conducted by our state government, and it was impressed by our honorable chief minister sir at that time. (it was exhibited by my students :D i am working as a lecturer at that time :) )
Things we need to consider to build a Nano drone, initially the frame - it must be lightweight, durable structure such as carbon fiber or plastic.Motors - Small, high-efficiency brushless motors or coreless motors to reduce weight. Propellers - Tiny propellers that match the motor size for efficient thrust. Flight Controller - A microcontroller-based board that stabilizes the drone and handles flight dynamics like pitch, roll, and yaw. Battery - A small LiPo battery to provide power without adding much weight. Radio - A controller like FlySky to pilot the drone.
Last edited by Pavan_sai on Sat Sep 07, 2024 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shraddha

Picture a drone so small that it fits right in your palm but is packed with the power and potential to achieve amazing things. That’s a Nano drone; an incredibly tiny yet mighty device that’s transforming the way we think about flying technology. These drones are perfect for everything from indoor adventures to intricate surveillance missions, all while being versatile.

Building a Nano drone is a bit like crafting a miniature high-tech marvel. Here is my take on How Can One Be Built?
Start with a lightweight, strong frame, often made from materials like carbon fiber. The key is to keep it small yet durable so it can zip around effortlessly.
Tiny brushless motors and sleek, thin propellers are essential for a nano drone’s lift and stability. It’s all about balancing performance with power to make sure it flies smoothly. I'll choose a compact, high-capacity battery to power my drone without making it too heavy. Lithium polymer batteries are often the go-to for their efficiency. Flight controller, this tiny brain of the drone comes with sensors like gyroscopes to keep it steady in the air. It will also handles real-time data to make sure my drone flies just right. Will add a radio module or Wi-Fi for communication, and if I want top-notch navigation, I'll include a GPS module too. A small, high-definition camera and sensors for obstacle avoidance will make my drone not just a flyer, but a little explorer capable of capturing amazing footage. The drone needs smart software to fly smoothly. This includes intuitive controls and features like automatic flight paths or object tracking.

Innovative features that will make my nano drone stand out is that I'll use an AR feature that lets me see flight paths and data overlays through my smartphone or AR glasses. It turns flying into an interactive experience that’s both cool and easy to grasp. Imagine a drone that can change its look to blend in with its surroundings (futuristic fun, right?). With an advanced collision avoidance system, my drone doesn’t just detect obstacles; it anticipates and dodges them. This means smoother, more reliable flights in tricky environments. Flexibility is key. My nano drone will supports various attachments, from mini sensors to different camera lenses, so I can customize it for whatever task I have in mind. Thanks to a cutting-edge propulsion system and smart battery management, my drone will offers longer flight times than most others in its class. This means more time to capture and explore. For a touch of futuristic fun, I can control my drone with wearable gadgets. Simple, and my drone follows along; making it super easy to operate. My nano drone will be isn’t just a tiny flying machine; it will be a fusion of innovative tech and user-friendly design, ready to take adventures to new heights and that's my whole new perspective!

I’ve worked with nano drone before, but now I’m excited to approach it with a fresh perspective and make some upgrades!
IMG_1454.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ashish

So a nano drone is extremely compact, typically smaller than a smartphone, and excels at maneuvering through confined spaces. Its small size and agility make it ideal for FPV (First-Person View) racing. Additionally, specialized frames, such as Cinewhoops, enhance its capability to capture high-resolution footage with a GoPro, offering both versatility and precision in cinematography.

For my FPV drone build, I’m using a lightweight carbon fiber frame for durability and agility. The setup includes a JHEMCU F4 flight controller, paired with an ESC combo and RTS 7500KV motors, ensuring powerful performance and stability. I’m choosing a compact lithium polymer battery for efficient power without added weight. The drone will feature a high-definition FPV camera mounted on a custom 3D-printed holder. I’m still deciding between two different frames for the final build. This combination of parts balances performance and portability, making the drone ideal for smooth, high-quality FPV flying.

I’ve also added innovative features to the drone frame by incorporating custom 3D-printed parts. These enhancements integrate seamlessly with the existing frame, making the drone more agile and enjoyable to fly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mansi

Nano drones, which are smaller and lighter than other drone models, are becoming increasingly popular. They can fly through windows, and are used for fun at home or outside. While primarily used for recreation, they also have other uses. Unlike larger models, nano drones can be used inside and outside.

Nano drones typically require lightweight and rigid frames made of materials such as carbon fiber or 3D printed plastic, which should be compact in size. They use tiny, high-efficiency brushless motors and small propellers optimized for a high thrust-to-weight ratio. These drones also incorporate miniature microcontrollers with advanced flight algorithms. They can utilize lithium polymer batteries with minimal capacity and high C rating to keep the battery size compact and achieve longer flying times. Additionally, different sensors such as gyroscopes, accelerometers, and magnetometers are integrated for stabilization, along with potential ultrasonic or obstacle detection systems.

I've assembled a nano drone using an Arduino nano microcontroller to integrate a HC05 Bluetooth module, allowing for control via Bluetooth connectivity. The drone also features an MPU sensor, coreless motors paired with appropriately sized propellers, and a 1S battery for power. This affordable and uncomplicated nano drone was crafted within a 3-day timeframe, with guidance from an instructables guide.
Angry@u

**Building a Mini Drone: A Comprehensive Guide**

**Overview:**
A mini drone is a compact, lightweight unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) used for various purposes including recreational flying, professional applications, kamikaze missions, or surveillance tasks. The following guide details the process of building a mini drone using Arduino hardware and other components.

---
$$ Drone for Surveillance task, use WT05 cam with helical Shaped antenna.$$
$$ Kamikaze drones can be made using Hexamine, concentrated nitric acid and Ammonium, Etc chemicals, to ignite the mixture short the battery terminals using some modifications in drone $$

**Components Required for the Mini Drone:**

1. **Arduino Pro Mini**
2. **NRF24L01 Transceiver**
3. **150-250 mAH 3.7V Battery**
4. **MPU6050 Gyro + Accelerometer**
5. **6mm Coreless Motors**
6. **WT05 Micro FPV Camera**
7. **Mini Buzzer**
8. **Motor Driver Components:**
- S12300 N MOSFET
- 1N5819 Diodes
- 10k Ohm Resistors

**Materials and Parts for the Transmitter:**

1. **Arduino Nano**
2. **NRF24L01 (Long Antenna) Transceiver**
3. **16x2 LCD with I2C**
4. **Joystick Module**
5. **Toggle Switch (3-pin)**
6. **Potentiometer (100KΩ)**
7. **10KΩ Resistor (for voltage divider)**
8. **Power Switch**
9. **Battery (7.4V 2S)**
10. **Power Connector**
11. **Charging Connector**

---

**Drone Structure:**

If budget allows, 3D printing is a convenient method to create the drone’s frame, saving time and avoiding manual labor. For a more hands-on approach, constructing the frame from popsicle sticks is a cost-effective alternative.

1. **Creating the Frame:**
- Print out the blueprint for the frame and rubber cutouts.
- Glue individual pieces onto popsicle sticks using PVC glue.
- Cut out the pieces using a hobby knife, and reinforce fragile parts with superglue.
- Frame posts can be cut from matchsticks. Sand down the frame pieces to reduce weight, ensuring that the arms are sturdy.
- Assemble the frame, ensuring it resembles a larger 5-inch FPV drone. Cut holes for the power connector and glue bumper guard strips cut from bicycle inner tube rubber onto the frame for added protection.

2. **Motor Driver Board:**
- Create a quad-transistor motor driver board using components such as N-channel MOSFETs (SI2300), Schottky flyback diodes (SS14, 1N5819), and 10K Ohm pull-down resistors.
- Solder the components onto a perforated prototype board, ensuring correct connections for the MOSFETs and diodes.
- Reduce the board’s size and weight by cutting, clipping, and sanding it down to 0.5x6x20mm.
- Attach colored signal wires to the MOSFETs’ Gate pins to distinguish connections.

3. **Installing Motors:**
- Secure the 6x14mm coreless motors onto the frame using superglue.
- Connect each motor’s wires to the corresponding flyback diodes to protect against back EMF currents. Connect the negative wire to the MOSFET’s Drain pin or diode’s Anode pin, and the positive wire to the diode’s Cathode pin.

4. **Radio Communication Module (NRF24L01):**
- Desolder the pins from the NRF24L01 module and replace them with thin wires to reduce weight.
- Solder colored wires for power, ground, and data connections.
- Secure the module in the frame using superglue or a tight fit.

5. **Flight Controller:**
- Use an Arduino Pro Mini (3.3V 8MHz) and an MPU6050 Gyro + Accelerometer for orientation control.
- Mount the MPU6050 on the Arduino Pro Mini using a 2-pin header for I2C communication (SDA & SCL) and additional wires for power.
- Power the MPU6050 directly from the LiPo battery for stable performance.
- Create an EMF protective shield using copper or aluminum foil between the flight controller and motor driver to prevent interference.

6. **Additional Modules:**
- Attach a 5V passive buzzer under the drone to indicate status and mode changes. Connect the buzzer’s plus (+) pin to Arduino digital pin 8 and minus (-) pin to GND.
- Solder a JST connector with wires to the RAW pad (Voltage-In) and GND pad for battery power.
- Wire the motor driver and radio transceiver, ensuring the NRF24L01 gets powered from the MPU6050’s 3.3V regulator.
- Connect the motor driver’s power input to the battery and the signal wires to the Arduino pins.

7. **Installing the FPV Camera:**
- Install the 3-gram, 600TVL resolution FPV camera at the front of the drone.
- Clip off the camera’s connector and wire it directly to the battery (voltage input: 3.3-5.5V).

8. **Final Assembly:**
- Secure the JST battery connector through holes made in the cover piece.
- Attach the battery to the top of the drone using a rubber band.
- Close the drone with its wooden cover, securing it with superglue.
- Mount 4-bladed propellers (or 2-bladed if preferred) ensuring they are no larger than 32mm in diameter. Attach them so that the motors push air downward.

9. **Programming the Drone:**
- Use an FTDI or USB-to-Serial converter with a bridging connector to program the Arduino Pro Mini.
- Open the MultiWii configurator software on your computer and adjust PID values to tune the drone’s flight performance. Lower the P values for pitch and roll to reduce oscillations, and adjust RATE and EXPO settings for smoother control.

---

**Conclusion:**

Building a miniature DIY FPV drone with Arduino hardware involves more than assembling parts; it’s about the rewarding experience of creating a functioning flying machine. The knowledge gained through this project opens doors to further experimentation and challenges in the world of DIY technology. With your custom-built drone, you’re not just flying a device but showcasing your skills and readiness to tackle new projects.
Robu

Congratulations to Our Tech Geek Challenge Winner!

Dear Participants,

We are thrilled to announce the lucky winner of our Tech Geek question: Nano Drone Showdown!

Congratulations to Nawaj! 🎉

Mr. Nawaj impressed us with their innovative project experience, which describe about the foldable design and automatic Safe Landing of nano drone. These features make the drone more portable and safer to use.

As a reward, Mr. Nawaj will receive 250 robu points. Thank you to everyone who participated and made this competition a success!.

We hold these competitions every week, so be prepared to grab the next prize!