Tech Geek question: Most Effective Sensor You have Used?

Subscribe to the forum to receive notifications about new posts.
Robu

The lucky winner of Tech Geek's second Question ( Arduino-Based Solutions for Everyday Issues) is @ kumarsid

The third question for the Tech Geek competition is,

What type of sensor has been most useful in your projects, and how has it improved your design’s functionality and performance? Share your experience!

We invite you to share your creative and insightful answers to this question. Feel free to include your experiences, images of the projects, component list, challenges, and unique insights if you've built your project.

Submit your answers by Tuesday, September 24th, 2024, by evening. One lucky winner will be randomly selected to receive 250 Robu Points! We’ll announce the winner the following week. Good luck!

Note: AI-generated answers are not allowed
napesanerd

Letting 'sensor' be a broad term, I'd say it's Cameras! (Anything above 144p)

Even "camera" is a broad term, but it depends on the project anyway. They're probably the center of the whole project, like motion detection with the boxes, etc. The potential one can have with a decent enough knowledge about image processing is godly (i don't).

A project ive recently made with these is a privacy-invading personal productivity manager (checks where the user is looking, their posture, objects in view, and sends an image to an multi-modal LLM for its thoughts).

Some projects I've planned: figuring out the exact location of a moving object (probably a human) on a staircase to do cool animations on individual stairs or a whole room. Instead of using PIR/radar sensors, what hinders these is the edge computing required.

I can't really figure out the part where I somehow get it to work efficiently. The last project (productivity manager)'s web app REFUSED to run on Firefox/Linux (ff just crashed when i started sending the stream , worked on Windows somehow). I had to use Konqueror because I couldn't get the proper streaming function to work and ended up sending plane old frames. The computer vision and web app took like 4GB of RAM and 70% CPU usage. I spell optimization with an s.
Karna.7

The motion sensor is the most effective in my projects, as it is easy to implement in my small projects. Recently, I completed a project for motion-activated lights in utility and home bathrooms. I used a motion sensor and a relay module to achieve this, and the motion sensor proved to be very convenient.
Mohit

We have used IR ( infrared sensor as with this sensor we also used alcohol detector sensor module to make this project as the IR sensor release Infrared rays as the object is detected at its sensor it dects it and inform the user and alcohol detector sensor also detects gas as if any alcohol used by user as in liquid or gas form it detects it and inform as our according to our model the model of bike as used a bo motor is stopped and if the user is also sleeping at the time of driving it stops the motor
prt21319

As a beginner, I had used the RFID reader(MFRC522) for making projects like attendance system and smart door lock.We made an rfid attendance system for our classroom, and it was great!

Another one, which I have been using recently, is a MPU6050 sensor. It can be used for variety of projects like car accident alert system,self balancing robot, camera gimbal,gesture recognition and even in drones! Although being a small and cheap sensor, it has a lot of applications everywhere.This small sensor can turn a simple project into a much cooler project,like I recently used it to make a gesture controlled rc car. I got a lot of experience working with this sensor.
kumarsid

MPU6050 is the sensor that I recently used to solve a real world problem. This cheap and simple gyroscope sensor helped me visualize 3D objects on my computer in real-time.

I use the MPU 6050 sensor to send gyroscope readings to a webserver (webpage), where the 3D model is loaded and rotated in real-time. This project uses the javascript library called Three.js and runs on any web browsers. It is quite handy.

Later, I would like to replace the MPU6050 sensor with a more stable gyro sensor and this one has a lot of drift on one axis.
gyro_sensor.gif
sensor.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shraddha

One of the most useful sensors in my projects has been the ultrasonic sensor (HC-SR04). This sensor has significantly improved the functionality and performance of my designs, particularly in robotics and automation projects.

How It Improved My Designs
1. Accurate Distance Measurement: The ultrasonic sensor provides precise distance measurements by emitting ultrasonic waves and measuring the time it takes for the echo to return. This accuracy is crucial for obstacle detection and navigation in robotics.
2. Versatility: It can be used in various applications, from simple distance measurement to complex obstacle avoidance systems. This versatility has allowed me to use the same sensor in multiple projects, saving time and resources.
3. Ease of Integration: The HC-SR04 is easy to interface with microcontrollers like Arduino. Its straightforward wiring and coding make it accessible even for beginners, which has been beneficial in basic projects and prototypes.
4. Cost-Effective: It is relatively inexpensive compared to other distance sensors, making it a cost-effective solution for projects that require multiple sensors.

Example: Obstacle Avoidance Robot
This is the one of the most easy to build project using the HC-SR04 sensor. The sensor is mounted on a servo motor to allow for a wider range of detection. The robot could navigate through a room, avoiding obstacles in real-time.

Required Components:
  • Components Used:
  • Arduino Uno
  • HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Sensor
  • Servo Motor
  • BO Motors and Motor Driver
  • Chassis and Wheels
  • Battery Pack
The ultrasonic sensor continuously scans the environment. When an obstacle is detected within a certain range, the Arduino processes the data and sends a signal to the motor driver to change the robot’s direction. The servo motor allows the sensor to rotate, providing a broader detection range.
The ultrasonic sensor has greatly improved my projects by adding more features and better performance. It's reliable and easy to use, making it an essential part of my toolkit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mansi

A few days ago, I developed a "LIDAR based Object Detection for Military Spying" system, where I identified Lidar as the most effective distance detection sensor. Specifically, I utilized the RPLidar A1M8, which offers exceptional precision and accuracy, surpassing other sensor options. These advanced sensors empower scientists and mapping professionals to meticulously analyze both natural and manmade environments with unparalleled accuracy and flexibility.

Today, LIDAR technology finds widespread application in various military and aerial contexts. This sophisticated LIDAR-based military system facilitates the monitoring of local areas and the detection of suspicious activities. By leveraging this state-of-the-art LIDAR system, we can effectively deter adversaries from approaching sensitive targets, potentially saving countless lives.
Priyanka Dixit

I created one project, an Arduino Uno-based radar system. As a radar tracking device, we used an ultrasonic sensor.
The ultrasonic sensor is moved in all directions using the servo motor. Arduino IDE and Processing IDE were the software we needed to complete this project.
Robu

Congratulations to Our Tech Geek Challenge Winner!

Dear Participants,

We are thrilled to announce the lucky winner of our Tech Geek question: Most Effective Sensor You Have Used?

Congratulations to Shraddha! 🎉

Shraddha impressed us with their innovative project experience. Your obstacle avoidance robot with the HC-SR04 sensor is a favorite among many. By adding a rotating servo for a wider detection range, you've made the design smarter and more efficient.

As a reward, @Shraddha will receive 250 robu points. Thank you to everyone who participated and made this competition a success!

We hold these weekly competitions, so be prepared to grab the next prize!