Which board is preferable for IoT applications

Subscribe to the forum to receive notifications about new posts.
Mansi

Hello,

I would like to know which board is preferable for IoT applications: ODROID-C4 or Arduino MKR GSM 1400.
Has anyone used them in their applications?
How can I find resources to work with these boards for IoT applications?
I am not familiar with using these boards, so please guide me on a simple project or suggest the simplest IoT controller board to work with.
Shraddha

Hello Mansi,

When choosing between the ODROID-C4 and the Arduino MKR GSM 1400 for IoT applications, it's important to consider the specific needs of your project and the features of each board.

1. ODROID-C4
a) Processor: Quad-core ARM Cortex-A55.
b) RAM: 4GB.
c) Storage: MicroSD or eMMC module.
d) Connectivity: Ethernet, USB ports, GPIO pins, and various interfaces (I2C, SPI, UART).
e) Operating System: Can run full Linux distributions like Ubuntu.

2. Arduino MKR GSM 1400
a) Processor: SAMD21 Cortex-M0+ 32-bit ARM.
b) RAM: 32KB.
c) Storage: 256KB Flash.
d) Connectivity: GSM/3G for cellular connectivity, WiFi, USB, GPIO pins, and various interfaces (I2C, SPI, UART).
e) Operating System: Arduino sketch-based programming.

3. ODROID-C4 is more powerful with its quad-core processor and larger memory. It's suitable for projects that require more computing power and flexibility, such as running a small web server, processing data locally, or handling more complex tasks. It requires a more in-depth knowledge of Linux and software development.

4. Arduino MKR GSM 1400 is specifically designed for IoT applications with GSM/3G connectivity, making it ideal for projects that need remote monitoring and control without relying on WiFi. It’s easier to get started with if you are familiar with Arduino programming and require a simpler setup.

Resources for Working with These Boards

ODROID-C4 - https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-c4/odroid-c4
Arduino MKR GSM 1400 - https://docs.arduino.cc/hardware/mkr-gsm-1400/

If you're looking for a very beginner-friendly IoT board, consider the Arduino MKR WiFi 1010. It has built-in WiFi and is part of the Arduino ecosystem, making it easy to find resources and support.

Arduino MKR WiFi 1010:
Processor: SAMD21 Cortex-M0+.
Connectivity: WiFi and Bluetooth.
Ease of Use: Simple programming via the Arduino IDE.
Product Link: https://robu.in/product/original-arduin ... 010-board/
Resource: https://docs.arduino.cc/hardware/mkr-wifi-1010/

This board is great for simple IoT projects such as home automation, environmental monitoring, and basic data logging.
Hope this helps you. *:)
Smit

If you are going to ODROID-C4 , i would prefer to use Raspberry Pi 3B+ and Raspberry Pi 4/5 with 4/8 ram.And these board are quite powerful than odroid-c4 but they also requires better understanding to linux which i dont think a complex task , for IOT application you can install raspbian os and install node-red software which allows to intergrate sensors and other instruments connected through gpio pins and display data on a dashboard locally and on a ip address if internet is connected to rpi.
Raspberry pi Zero W is also a good option for lower level iot porjects which do not require that much of power and computing.
Mansi

Thank you for the guidance and suggestions.

When looking at the specifications, it's clear that the Raspberry Pi is better due to its cost-effectiveness and extreme flexibility. However, in many discussions, I've heard about the Odroid. If you are into development, or if you are planning for long-term use such as building servers, Odroid is a powerful option with good community support for Linux, even though it is a bit more expensive.

I am somewhat familiar with using the Raspberry Pi 4B. Considering that the Raspberry Pi Zero W has fewer features than the Raspberry Pi 4, I will definitely refer to the Raspberry Pi 4 for my application. However, I would like to know if it is suitable for large interfacing options as well. Also, could you confirm its lifecycle for me?