IoT-Based Home Automation System: Design and Implementation

Subscribe to the forum to receive notifications about new posts.
AlamKhan

I'm working on a college project to create an IoT-based home automation system. Could you suggest the best components and software to use for this project?
Smit

Esp32/esp8266 if going with wifi networks which you can integrate with blynk 2.0 app and cloud , but this option requires a internet connection to the esp microcontroller. Second option is through bluetooth to use a normal arduino with hc-06 bluetooth module integrate with apps which supports bluetooth connectivity . you can use relays triggering through a transistor getting signals from microcontroller .Techiesms yt channel v2 version board you can prefer for you project .
AlamKhan

Thank you for your response. for an example i am using an ESP32 because it supports both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. How can I integrate it with the Blynk app to control home appliances? Is Blynk an open-source platform? Also, could you recommend a relay that can handle high loads, or suggest an alternative microcontroller if needed?
Smit

Yes,Blynk 2.0 is a open-source platform to use blynk with esp32 you need to login into blynk cloud and follow the instructions and then after adding your new device it will generate 'Auth Token' , 'Template id' , 'Device name', these 3 id's lines you have to add to your code , you can find out on this link to use blynk cloud with esp32 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMSSJOblRcU .The most basic relay you can use is a sugar cube shaped relay which has ratings approx 10A/250V and if you want a smaller relay then 5A/250V rating relay are also available you just have to find out in ROBU website , it will show you all. You can make a reference from this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87QhjQth-pQ&t=863s , this version is very much intrested if you make this bcz it also intergrates with alexa and home assistant if you are rely on internet connection and this one uses a ESPRAINMAKER app to do so .

You can go through Rainmaker and connect with wifi and Home assistant on your smartphone to make look your project a nice College project as it would be very interesting to make this .
AlamKhan

I've started building a smart home automation system using Blyink software, and I've come across an idea from a video that I want to implement. I'm planning to integrate a smart energy meter into the system. This will allow us to both control various aspects of the smart home and monitor energy consumption. With this setup, we'll be able to track how much energy is being used in real time and adjust our automation accordingly.
I don't think this type of project has been done before. We can leverage ChatGPT to help combine existing code or develop our own code for the integration.

Refer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6wmBGExMJg&t=1s